If you are a regular reader of my blog, you probably already know my love for coconut (oil, fresh coconut, water coconut, coconut milk…and all coconut!), this amazing fruit with such a large variety of use.
On my last visit to my family in Romania, I brought from India some bottles of pure cold pressed coconut oil and almost drove my sister crazy trying to convince her about its benefits for cosmetic, as well for cooking use. Watch out my dear sister, I’ll give you now one more idea on what to do with that coconut oil. Really, you must try this recipe, it’s delicious!
It looks a little fancy, doesn’t it? Well, it’s the most unfussy dish to make, and is filled with nutrients that will keep you feeling great.
This simple chicken coconut curry it’s creamy, colorful (isn’t just amazing that bright yellow color of turmeric?), full of flavor and incredibly healthy. If you don’t like yellow in your plate or you don’t easily find turmeric, then you can skip the turmeric.
The recipe I’m sharing today is mild spicy, you can increase or decrease the level of heat as per your own taste. I used coconut oil but any vegetable oil will do too.
If you search for more Indian coconut milk based curries, you may want to take a look at these recipes:
- Eggplant and spinach coconut curry
- Goan coconut chicken curry
- Curried sweet potato soup with coconut milk
- Chicken almond korma
- Fried fish with coconut sauce
If coconut milk or coconut cream is not available in your supermarket, here’s a recipe to help you make fresh coconut milk or coconut cream at home.
Indian Chicken coconut curry recipe step by step
On medium flame, heat oil into a pan. Add onions and fry until golden brown.
Add ginger, garlic, curry leaves and green chillies and stir fry for one minute. Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander and red chilli powder, stir and fry for about 30 seconds.
Note: Fresh curry leaves are not easily available in Western markets, you can find them at your local Indian market or you can buy online on amazon.
Now add tomato and fry for 2 minutes. Bring the chicken pieces into the pan, add salt and mix well. Let it cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add 1/2 – 1 cup of water, cover the pan and let it cook for 20-25 minutes.
Lower the flame and add thick coconut milk or coconut cream. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Note: if the sauce is watery, remove the lid then increase the temperature and cook for few minutes more to reduce the unwanted liquid.
Garnish with fresh coriander/cilantro leaves and serve warm this fantastic Indian chicken coconut curry, with boiled rice or your favorite bread.
You Might Also Like:
- 400 gm chicken pieces;
- 2 onions, julienne cut;
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger or paste;
- 1 tsp crushed garlic;
- 2 green chillies,cut into big pieces;
- 1 tomato, peeled and cubed;
- ½ tsp turmeric powder;
- 1 tsp cumin powder;
- 1 tbsp coriander powder;
- ½ tsp red chilli powder (for a mild spicy curry) or as per taste;
- salt as per taste;
- 200 ml thick coconut milk or coconut cream;
- ½ - 1 cup of water;
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil;
- few curry leaves;
- few fresh coriander/cilantro leaves to garnish.
- On medium flame, heat oil into a pan. Add onions and fry until golden brown.
- Add ginger, garlic, curry leaves and green chillies and stir fry for one minute. Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander and red chilli powder, stir and fry for about 30 seconds.
- Now add tomato and fry for 2 minutes. Bring the chicken pieces into the pan, add salt and mix well. Let it cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add ½ - 1 cup of water, cover the pan and let it cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Lower the flame and add thick coconut milk/coconut cream. Simmer for 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh coriander/cilantro leaves and serve warm with boiled rice or your favorite bread.